Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Video-free technique tutorials

I always forget how exactly to do certain techniques and have to search for tutorials online.  Videos take too long to download and watch so I prefer picture/text based tutorials.  Some of my more frequent fliers:

Russian join - good way to attach new yarn in the middle of a row.  It has some disadvantages in that it creates a bit of a lump or thickened section in the area of the join and probably would not work well for joining two different colors.

SSK (slip, slip, knit) - creates a left-leaning decrease. Also on Knitty with a good summary of the other main increasing and decreasing techniques.

Twisted German cast-on (a.k.a., the Old Norwegian cast-on) - About as difficult as you might expect a Twisted German Something to be.  I went through about a dozen tutorials before I found one that worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment